Stem cell therapy for shoulder pain is a relatively new and experimental treatment that involves injecting stem cells into the affected shoulder joint. The idea is that the stem cells will differentiate into new cartilage and muscle cells, thereby repairing the damaged tissue and removing pain.
What is Shoulder Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease that affects the cartilage, the smooth, cushioning material that covers the ends of bones in a joint and plays an important role in providing a pain-free gliding motion when the joint is in movement. Shoulder osteoarthritis is a type of OA (osteoarthritis) that affects the shoulder joint. It is characterized by the wearing away of the cartilage in the shoulder joint, which can lead to pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion.
Shoulder osteoarthritis is a common condition that typically affects older adults, but it can also occur as a result of an injury or overuse. The risk of developing shoulder osteoarthritis increases with age, obesity, and family history.
The most common symptoms of shoulder osteoarthritis include:
- Pain: Pain in the shoulder joint that may be worse with activity and better with rest
- Stiffness: Difficulty moving the shoulder joint, especially in the morning or after sitting for long periods
- Weakness: Difficulty lifting or reaching with the affected arm
- Cracking or popping sounds: When moving the shoulder joint
- Reduced range of motion: Difficulty moving the shoulder joint through its full range of motion.
Treatment options for shoulder osteoarthritis include physical therapy, medication, and in severe cases, surgery. However, there is not one specific treatment that works for everyone, and the best treatment will depend on the specific diagnosis and the severity of the condition.
Why choose stem cell therapy?
Stem cell therapy is a promising treatment option for a wide range of diseases and conditions because of the unique ability of stem cells to develop into many different types of cells in the body. They can potentially be used to repair or replace damaged or diseased cells, tissues and organs, and also have been used for regenerative medicine. This can lead to improvement or even a cure for certain conditions, such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, neurological disorders, and others. Additionally, it is relatively less invasive than traditional surgical treatments and can be done in an outpatient setting. However, it is important to note that stem cell therapy is still considered experimental and more research is needed to fully understand its potential benefits and risks.
Treatment for Shoulder Injuries and Painful Conditions
Treatment for shoulder injuries and painful conditions varies depending on the specific diagnosis, but may include a combination of the following:
- Physical Therapy: Do exercises to improve strength, flexibility, and range of motion in the shoulder joint.
- Medications: Pain relievers medicine or prescription medicine like ibuprofen and acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or corticosteroids, respectively that may be used to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Injections: Corticosteroid injections may be used to reduce inflammation and pain in the shoulder joint.
- Surgery: In some cases, surgery may be necessary to repair or replace a damaged joint or to remove bone spurs or other growths that are causing pain.
- Rest and Ice: Applying ice on the affected area can help reduce inflammation and pain.
- Stem Cell Therapy: As mentioned earlier, stem cell therapy is a relatively new and experimental treatment that involves injecting stem cells into the affected shoulder joint.
It’s important to note that the best treatment plan will depend on the specific diagnosis and the severity of the injury or condition. It’s always best to consult with a doctor or physical therapist to determine the best course of treatment for your individual case.
What is Regenexx procedures?
Regenexx procedures are a type of stem cell therapy that are used to treat a wide range of orthopedic conditions, including injuries and painful conditions affecting the shoulder. These procedures involve extracting a patient’s own stem cells from their bone marrow or fat tissue and then re-injecting them into the affected joint or tissue. The idea is that the stem cells will differentiate into new cells, thereby repairing the damaged tissue and reducing pain.
The Regenexx procedure uses a patient’s own stem cells to treat a variety of orthopedic conditions like rotator cuff tears, labral tears, and tendonitis. These procedures are performed on an outpatient basis and involve the use of a patient’s own stem cells, which are obtained through a simple, minimally-invasive procedure.
It’s important to note that while Regenexx procedures are considered an innovative and promising treatment option, they are still considered experimental and have not been widely studied. It’s also important to consult with an orthopedic specialist to determine if this treatment is the right option for you.
Regenexx Procedures For Shoulder Pain
Regenexx procedures for shoulder pain are a type of stem cell therapy that are used to treat a wide range of orthopedic conditions that cause shoulder pain, including rotator cuff tears, labral tears, and tendonitis. These procedures involve extracting a patient’s own stem cells from their bone marrow or fat tissue and The goal is to use the patient’s own stem cells to repair and regenerate damaged tissue and reduce pain.
The Regenexx procedure is a non-surgical treatment. The procedure is done by using a small amount of bone marrow or adipose tissue which is then processed to obtain the stem cells. The stem cells are then re-injected into the affected shoulder joint.
It’s always best to consult with an orthopedic specialist to determine if this treatment is the right option for you and your specific condition.
How Stem Cell Therapy can be an Effective to Shoulder Replacement
As the most mobile joint in the human body, the shoulder is placed under a great amount of stress each and every day. Active individuals, athletes and the older population often struggle with the painful symptoms of osteoarthritis caused by continuous wear and tear of the shoulder joint. In many cases, osteoarthritis progresses until non-surgical treatments are no longer effective. Countless individuals in the Denver, Vail and Aspen, Colorado area are then told a shoulder replacement is necessary. For individuals who are looking for an alternative to shoulder replacement, Dr. Matthew Provencher recommend stem cell therapy for the shoulder.
Stem cell therapy is being researched as a potential treatment option for shoulder pain. The advantages of stem cell therapy for shoulder pain include:
- Regeneration: Stem cells have the ability to develop into different types of cells, which can potentially be used to repair or replace damaged or diseased cells and tissues in the shoulder joint.
- Non-invasive: Stem cell therapy is relatively non-invasive compared to traditional surgical treatments such as arthroscopy or joint replacement.
- Reduced recovery time: Stem cell therapy can potentially lead to a faster recovery time and improved range of motion compared to traditional treatments.
- Minimal side effects: Stem cell therapy has been shown to have minimal side effects, as the cells used are usually harvested from the patient’s own body.